Cured Salmon (Gravad Lax)
- 2 lb Salmon file (preferably the thick end)
- 1 tbsp whole white peppercorns
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 8 tbsp chopped dill
- Crack the white peppercorn coarsely (easily done in a closed zip-lock bag with a ham-mer), and mix with sugar, salt and dill.
- Spread the mixture on the inside of two salmon files put on top of each other, and place in a zip-lock bag. You may also put some of the spice-mix on the outside of the fish.
- Place the bag with the salmon in the refrigerator, and put something heavy on top of it. After 24 hrs turn the bag over, and leave for another 24 hrs.
- Scrape of spices and slice thinly for serving. Serve with a mustard sauce.
Mustard Sauce (Gravlax Sås)
- ½ cup Swedish mild mustard
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ¾ cup oil (i.e. Canola oil)
- ½ cup chopped dill
- chopped chives could also be added
- Mix mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pep-per in a bowl.
- Whisk in oil slowly.
- Mix in dill (and chives, if using).